If you’re searching for the best projector screen fabric, then your best bet is the white blackout cloth. The whiteness ensures image fidelity and color accuracy even though grey material increases contrast. The blackout portion ensures the light doesn’t escape the screen, ensuring image brightness.
The material should be stretched evenly in all four directions for the absolute best results. They should even be serviceable for a tensioned hanging mount. Thankfully, many of these fabrics and screens are available at reasonable prices.
Do you want to know the best fabric for projector screen products? Keep on reading to find out.
You may also like: How to Choose a Projector Screen
- 1 9 Best Screen Fabrics for Projectors
- 1.1 Elite Screens Designer Cut Series Matte White Projector Screen Material
- 1.2 Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY Projection Screen Material
- 1.3 Taotaole Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100 Inches DIY Portable Projector Screen
- 1.4 Carl’s Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen Material/Projection Screen Fabric
- 1.5 Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric
- 1.6 Elite Screens Manual B 100-INCH Manual Pull Down Projector Screen
- 1.7 Pyle Portable Projector Screen PRJTP46
- 1.8 Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen – 80 Inch, White
- 1.9 100BTF Projector Screen with Stand with 3 Layers of PVC
- 2 Comparison Chart
- 3 FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 4 Concluding Thoughts
9 Best Screen Fabrics for Projectors
Here are the 9 best screen fabrics for projectors as rated by Amazon.com users.
Elite Screens Designer Cut Series Matte White Projector Screen Material
The thing about the Elite Screens Designer Cut Series is that it’s truly elite in terms of product quality and not just in branding. Its assembled size is 72 inches by 125 inches. It’s made for HD format videos with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Matte White Projector Screen Material
This Elite Screens Designer Cut Series product is a cut above the rest. Why? It uses CineWhite material, which is known for its 1.1 gain. This is for the best because the color white faithfully transmits what’s being projected without changes in color. The material is also reflective enough to increase brightness.
The gain is slight but worthwhile. Furthermore, the projector screen material is fully black-backed. What this means is that like your blackout blinds, the screen won’t let the light escape, thus what you’ll be watching won’t end up faded or weak due to escaping light.
- Matte white color.
- 160° viewing angle.
- It is 135 inches in size.
- CineWhite material type.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It costs roughly a hundred bucks.
- It measures 72 inches by 124 inches.
- Raw screen material that requires cutting.
- Blackout screen for black-backed projection.
- Tough and long-lasting screen material you can depend on.
- Made in the USA to ensure consistent quality across the board.
- Specifically uses CineWhite or ZRM-135HW-CINEWHITE material.
- It caters to projector resolutions from FHD to UHD 4K, even 8K (although those are rare).
Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY Projection Screen Material
The Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY is pretty big. You have 176¾ inches or 449 centimeters of it to work with. This makes it much larger than the Elite Screens CineWhite material outlined above.
Huge and Easily Customizable White Screen
The Yescom is ideal for use outdoors, such as in your backyard for movie nights. Naturally, it can also be used for indoor projector screens as well, such as those used in conference rooms and living rooms. Light penetration is avoided thanks to the screen material’s standard black backing.
When the light escapes on the material, the resulting projection image isn’t as bright. Thanks to its wide viewing angle of 160 degrees, you’re offered a large viewing area which is perfect for the most cinematic of widescreen movies out there full of amazing details.
- It has a 1.1 gain.
- 160° viewing angle.
- Its aspect ratio is 16:9.
- It fits front projection setups.
- Its diagonal is 176¾” or 449 cm.
- It costs around $80, more or less.
- It has PVC coated high strength textile screen material.
- Its specific screen size is 86⅝” by 154″ or 220 cm x 391 cm.
- The material is so durable that it can withstand the elements outdoors.
- Uniform matte white viewing surface that uniformly diffuses projected light for the best results.
Taotaole Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100 Inches DIY Portable Projector Screen
The Taotaole Blackout Cloth is 100 inches of DIY portable projector screen material with blackout features. It’s most suitable for the 16:9 aspect ratio, it comes with finished edges and installed grommets, and it’s colored white.
Fantastic Value for Size and Image Quality
Yes, Taotaole isn’t as revered a brand as Elite Screens, but it gets the job done and we’ve deemed it decent enough to belong on this list of top 9 screen materials currently available in 2021. Not many people have availed of it according to the amount of user ratings, but those “few” agree it’s topnotch.
It measures 4.06 feet by 7.27 feet or 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches. Thusly, it’s a lot less material than Yescom or Elite Screens but for its price, it’s still a relatively good deal for DIY screen makers out there. The affordable price also comes from the fact it has a 1.0 gain instead of a 1.1 gain.
- Blackout cloth.
- It has a 1.0 gain.
- 160° viewing angle.
- It is best used indoors.
- It comes with a rubber coating.
- Used for front projection instead of the rear.
- Made of 30 percent cotton and 70 percent polyester.
- Reinforced heavy-duty border with grommets included.
- Affordable at about $50 (100 inches) and available at about $70 (120 inches).
- It measures 4.06 feet by 7.27 feet or 48.72 inches by 87.24 inches.
- This one is 100 inches diagonal (another is available at 120 inches diagonal).
Carl’s Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen Material/Projection Screen Fabric
The Carl’s Blackout Cloth is the highest rated among all the screen fabrics outlined so far for the reason that few people have complaints about it that should reduce its score. Yes, it only has 1.0 gain, but even still, it offers more consistent quality compared to its 1.1 gain counterparts.
It Doesn’t Over-Hype and Fulfills Its Promises of Durability
Other fabrics might have complaints regarding quality control or defects, but with Carl’s Blackout Cloth, you get exactly what you pay for. This material is quite affordable but not low-grade. It’s actually one of the most cost-effective clothes out there.
Carl’s Place Store isn’t that well-known a brand either but it still scores high due to material durability, quality, bigness, and affordability. This makes the product a screen-building favorite. Both Yescom and Elite Screens offer more inches but Carl’s is inch-per-inch easier to handle.
- It has 1.0 gain.
- Blackout cloth.
- 180° viewing angle.
- Works for 16:9 aspect ratio.
- It measures 66 inches by 110 inches.
- Costs about $60 (some have it available $30).
- This screen material is colored matte white.
- Budget-friendly option without sacrificing quality.
- Like Taotaole, it’s shipped to you already folded in a box.
- It’s highly rated among Amazon.com users for good reason.
- Multi-angle clarity so you can see the image in multiple ways.
Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric
The Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric is made of specific matte white polymer material that ensures color saturation and high contrast from your image. It works best in an environment with controlled ambient light. It’s most suitable for use in dark-lit rooms.
Quality Fabric Made of EPPE Polymer Material
This blackout cloth is made of EPPE polymer material. This is different from conventional canvas, white plastic, glass fiber, or PVC. It makes the screen material more environment-friendly and reaches E.U. REACH testing standards. You can even see beautiful images on this screen above 160°.
The polymer material also ensures a better viewing experience. With its 1.0 gain, it restores color and the resolution can reach 125 line pairs per millimeter. Because it’s white, it ensures color fidelity. Other colors affect the color accuracy of the image, although grey is perfect for better contrast.
- 130-inch diagonal.
- 160° viewing angle.
- Used for front projection.
- 70 inches by 118 inches in size.
- The white one costs about $80.
- Made for 16:9 aspect ratio images.
- Composed of EPPE polymer material.
- Works with 4K Ultra HD projector resolution.
- It’s a light-diffusing screen material made with a delicate matte surface.
- The white surface is perfect for image fidelity, particularly color accuracy.
Elite Screens Manual B 100-INCH Manual Pull Down Projector Screen
The Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen is a 100-inch type of projector screen material for the manual pull-down projector screen type. Manual B proves to have the same rating as Carl’s Blackout Cloth, but more people rate it as such. Therefore, it’s superior.
Professional-Grade Screen Material
Technically, this is more of a fully formed screen than screen material. It has a textured matte white surface and it can deal with aspect ratios such as 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10. After you release the handle, the fabric retracts slowly back into the housing.
The slow retraction mechanism ensures the screen retraction doesn’t wear out easily. Unlike other fabrics, this comes with an auto-lock mechanism for various height settings. It also works for HD, Ultra HD, HDR, 4K, 8K, and 3D.
- 0 Gain.
- Cost about $70.
- 160° viewing angle.
- 4K Ultra HD and HDR ready.
- 100 to 150 inches diagonal.
- 49 inches by 87 inches in size.
- Black-backed and bordered screen.
- You can use it with active 3D projectors.
- Variable height settings and auto-lock mechanism.
- Sturdy steel casing available for black or white finish.
- D-rings on the end caps offer options for suspended installations for ceilings.
- Screen lanyard included for easy operation, allowing you to do screen pull downs.
Pyle Portable Projector Screen PRJTP46
The Pyle Portable Projector Screen uses quality projection screen material but is yet another outright ready-made projector screen. To be more specific, it’s a mobile projection screen stand that’s mainly durable, easy-to-carry, and lightweight.
Mobile Lightweight Projector You Can Carry Anywhere
It’s a 40-inch screen or about less than half of the size of a typical super-large screen. Some might view this as a detriment, but in certain circumstances it’s beneficial. For example, if you want a decent-sized screen on hand to use with your mobile projector, it’s the best.
What’s more, even though it’s petite compared to the average screen (especially when compared to screen material that’s 100 inches in size diagonally), the 40-inch Pyle is actually about the same size of a medium-sized HDTV or the average-sized CRT TV (not in thickness though).
- Bright image.
- Rugged design.
- 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Costs about $40.
- 160° viewing angle.
- Relatively inexpensive.
- 40-inch white matte screen.
- White matte screen surface.
- Hassle-free and versatile setup.
- Lightweight carry-on mobile screen stand.
- It’s ready for travel as a fully portable screen.
- You’re assured of first-rate viewing on-the-go.
- It can be used for the home, office, or classroom.
Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen – 80 Inch, White
The Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen is a projector screen with the same rating as the Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen and the Carl’s Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen Material. Amazon Basics is probably second best since Elite Screens still has the highest number of ratings.
An 80-Inch Pull-Down Projector Screen
The 80-inch pull-down or pull down projector screen can be used for work or play, whether you’re showcasing work presentations and promotional content or playing videogames. Naturally, it’s best used for watching movies and TV shows.
As expected of Amazon.com, this projector screen material has 1.2 gain. Its screen material is even better at light diffusion than all the other fabrics on this list. It’s mountable on the wall or on the ceiling suspended like a pull-down blind with its included hardware.
- 2 gain.
- 16:9 aspect ratio.
- 180° viewing angle.
- Space-saving design.
- Ideal for use indoors.
- 80-inch projector screen.
- Durable construction that lasts.
- Mountable on the ceiling or the wall.
- A pull-down lanyard is built unto the fabric.
- It also comes with an auto-locking mechanism like Pyle.
- Crisp, clear picture quality for HDR-ready video, Active 3D, or 4K Ultra HD.
100BTF Projector Screen with Stand with 3 Layers of PVC
The 100BTF Projector Screen with Stand is a premium 135-inch projector screen with 3 layers of PVC for its fabric. The device is also anti-crease and foldable for good measure so that it can be used both indoors and outdoors.
Wrinkle-Free and Foldable Projector Screen
Its projection display supports not only basic 720p HD or 1080p FHD. It can also take 4K Ultra HD, 3D “magic screen” setups, a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, a 160° viewing angle, and so forth. It has your standard blacked out screen to ensure front projection.
Furthermore, this versatile projector can deal with indoor ambient light or outdoor ruggedness and daylight perfectly fine. Its most notable feature is the fact that it can be folded without ending up all creased, which could ruin the viewing experience by warping your projection.
- 1 gain.
- Easy setup.
- 160° viewing angle.
- Made with 3 layers of PVC.
- 135 inches in diagonal size.
- Super HD projection display.
- 6 inches by 123.2 inches.
- It can be used indoors or outdoors.
- Wrinkle-free foldable projector screen.
- Comes with a lightweight durable stand.
- You can lift the screen up to connect to detachable legs.
- It includes 4 ground stakes, 2 rigging cords, 2 support rings, and 1 carrying bag.
|Projector Screen Fabrics|
|Elite Screens Designer Cut Series|
|CineWhite tensioned matte white||72 inches by 124 inches|
|Yescom 177″ 16:9 DIY Projection Screen Material|
|Matte White PVC Coated 154″x86″|
|86⅝ inches by 154 inches||1.1 gain||160°|
|Taotaole Blackout Cloth, 16:9, 100 Inches DIY Portable Projector Screen||White-colored blackout cloth with reinforced border and grommets installed|
|48.72 inches by 87.24 inches|
|Carl’s Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen Material|
|Matte white blackout cloth and screen material|
|66 inches by 110 inches||1.0 gain||180°|
|Yandood Projector Screen Material Fabric||Matte white blackout cloth with polymer material|
|70 inches by 118 inches||1.0 gain||160°|
|Elite Screens Manual B Projector Screen||100-inch matte white manual pull down projector screen|
|49 inches by 87 inches|
|Pyle Portable Projector Screen PRJTP46||MaxWhite material lightweight carry-on mobile screen stand|
|19.6 inches by 37.5 inches||1.1 gain||160°|
|Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen||Matt white 80-inch, 16:9 pull-down projector screen|
|49.5 by 76.4 inches|
|100BTF Projector Screen with Stand|
|3-layer PVC anti-crease foldable projector screen with stand|
|71.6 inches by 123.2 inches||1.1 gain||160°|
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Here are the most frequently asked questions when it comes to quality screen fabrics for projector use.
What is the best material to use for a projector screen?
White blackout cloth is probably the best material for use on a projector screen you’ve made in a do-it-yourself manner. Why? It’s the same material used in factory-made screens, for one thing. It’s the top-selling material due to its budget-friendly attributes, for another thing.
The blackout portion takes care of transmitting the projection light fully towards your eyes without the rest being wasted away. The screen isn’t quite as reflective as a mirror, but most matte white surfaces don’t need to be.
Regardless, this is the de facto standard for DIY or manufactured projector screen materials. If your material lacks reflective properties, you can put reflective paint on the screen to increase its light reflection and transmission.
What can I use for a projection screen?
The blank wall is one of the easiest DIY solutions out there for use as a projector screen. Just watch out, because walls tend to rob your projector image of brightness and clarity due to their nature of being made foremost to building integrity first and projection use second.
You can also use a bed sheet, wrapping paper, shades, blackout cloth, picture backdrop, or projector screen paint that’s painted on any of the aforementioned surfaces. As far as projector fabrics you can buy, they can be made of plastic, metal, fiberglass, polymer, polyester, and PVC.
Is blackout cloth good for projector screens?
Blackout cloth is the DIY fabric of choice for making your own projector screen. While many screen fabrics out there make use of PVC coating or polymer material, blackout cloth is as basic a choice as the color white is for projections.
Aside from being affordable, the material is known for its sturdiness. It’s even superior to painting canvas when being used on fixed frames because of its blackout material. The way it interacts with light is superior to canvas, which is mainly good for oil paintings.
A wall is too rough, a bed sheet is too colorful, and blinds are too glossy to compare to the perfect balance of reflection and smoothness of a blackout cloth setup.
Is polyester good for projector screen?
Another great material for DIY projector screens that’s superior to your bed sheet or drawn blinds is spandex fabric, which is composed of polyester. Polyester alone can work, mind you. However, the mix of 80 percent polyester (or nylon) and 20 percent spandex give the fabric that extra smoothness.
To be more specific, the spandex really helps stretch the material out to zero creases. Otherwise, you’ll just have to make sure your polyester is perfectly ironed out or crease-free every time on your fixed frame or mounting structure for your DIY screen.
Among the 9 fabrics and outright ready-made screens listed here, the best one in terms of projection screen performance is definitely Elite Screens Designer Cut Series.
The other ones include Amazon Basics 16:9 Pull Down Projector Screen, Carl’s Blackout Cloth, Elite Screens Manual B 100-INCH Manual Pull Down Projector Screen. Only Carl’s is the projector screen fabric among the three though. Amazon Basics is also the one with the highest screen gain of 1.2.
Outside of the list and speaking generally, the best fabric for a DIY projector screen build is the white blackout cloth. This material is available to you at a relatively affordable price. Furthermore, you can even choose to paint this material in order to boost its gain or reflective properties.